The next generation miniaturisation demands of high performance applications and products with higher density of function. That can result in the necessity of more components per pcb area.
Embedding components within an electronic module offers more opportunities and advantages:
- Miniaturization through stacking of electronic components
- Lower assembling cost
- Higher performance in HF applications due to the close proximity of vital passive components to the active semiconductor
Embedded components appear in applications as power modules, telecommunication equipment, high speed storage and other applications with high demand in runtime and or signal integrity.
- Form factor reduction through integration
- High reliability
- Thermal management
- Possibility to integrate EMI shielding
- CTE matching
- RFID applications for logistics, traceability and service.
- Unique identification of devices with HW and SW revision.